Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Mastery Charter summer school dilemma | Philadelphia Public School Notebook

Mastery Charter summer school dilemma | Philadelphia Public School Notebook

Mastery Charter summer school dilemma

by Samuel Reed III on Aug 03 2010 Posted in Parent perspectives
If you have followed my posts about charter schools you may surmise that I am both a supporter and detractor of charter schools. Now, I have a personal dilemma with Mastery Charter Schools' summer school program and I am asking my readers for some advice.
In a previous post I wrote about my support of Mastery Charter School because it holds students to rigorous standards. My grasshopper son, Kagiso–he calls me Papa San--did not meet Mastery’s standards so he had to do a 5th year in high school.
While at Mastery’s Lenfest Campus he had an Achilles heel: math. He did not apply himself and had to repeat a math class. Because he had mastered all his other subjects, he was offered three Advanced Placement (AP) classes in addition