Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Educated Reporter: Washington Monthly hits it out of the park.

The Educated Reporter: Washington Monthly hits it out of the park.:

Washington Monthly hits it out of the park.

It turns out I wound up at a good college for me, but there was nothing about my so-called “search” 23 years ago that would have ensured that. I applied early to and was rejected from a school I chose mainly because my boyfriend went there. Later, in the midst of a lengthy stretch of college visits, I was struck by how the tour guide at one school, which I knew of only because my best friend’s dad had gone there, received a never-ending stream of enthusiastic hellos. Everyone on campus genuinely seemed to be her friend, despite a look that would have belonged only to outcasts in my high school: chubby,