Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, July 8, 2010

New Thoughts, and Other Detritus. � Chalkdust101

New Thoughts, and Other Detritus. � Chalkdust101

New Thoughts, and Other Detritus.

Over the last two days, and one more tomorrow, I’ve been at the UbD By the Sea Conference hosted by Authentic Education’s Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe. It’s late and I don’t really feel like I have the writing chops to handle a huge thought explosion, but there are a few elements I’d like to get out in this space to see if they get legs.
Quotes from Andy Greene
Andy Greene is the principal at Candlewood Middle School in Long Island; his work was featured in Wiggins and McTighe’s Schooling by Design, and he is a charismatic speaker. In his afternoon session, among many great ideas for creating controversy in the best possible way, I also pulled some interesting quotes.
I live by the rule of thirds: if I give my staff something to read, 1/3 are going to devour it like their